+1

The default  settings are a joke at this point...and so are the materials.

*Greg Punchatz*
*Sr. Creative Director*
Janimation
214.823.7760
www.janimation.com <http://www.janimation.com>
On 11/8/2012 2:05 PM, Ed Manning wrote:
material couldn't be a BSDF version of Phong (or Blinn or Ward or Ashikhmin) with fresnel and energy conservation? Is there a reason the default light can't be, say, mib_photometric? Why shouldn't the default material be updated when technology advances? Wouldn't it help move people along by making the default versions of things be the latest ones rather than the oldest? You could always have a "Classic Mode" button for people who just don't want to change.

Why not make improved versions of things in addition to retaining legacy versions? It's not like the legacy versions are being actively developed anyway. I'm sure the code in some of the shaders hasn't been touched in 15 years. I'd also be kind of shocked if making these additions required a compatibility-killing change to core application code -- if that were the case, it wouldn't be possible for people to make modern 3rd-party renderers like Arnold or VRay work with Softimage and Maya.