Hi Matt, as you moved to 2013 lately, there might be workarounds for some
of you problems.*
*
*
Preserve UVs*: I think it's not publicly available, but piotrek did a swim
UVs for explicit using the custom tool SDK, so it's doable.

*Pain*t: A Maya Artisan like paint tool is also possible, I have an
unfinished one, it's only doing push and smooth, but working, I also never
found the time to implement undo/redo.
Also I'm not sure that maya and max have a brush to modify topology.

*Locking topology*: Since 2012 there is a pin UVs that survive to freeze.
I'm surprise that a all levels locked ICE tree can be freezed (bug?!), but
you ca still make an operator that will lock a point and all it's attached
properties.
Locked operators are not freezable.

Cheers
Ahmidou Lyazidi