I understand Eric predicament. The objectview by default open to
perspective, if you tick orthographic, the objectview does not retain the
setting when closed and their is not current setting in the attributes to
change it in the preference setting either.

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/softimage2014/en_us/sdkguide/si_cmds/ObjectViewAttributes.html

I tried the SetValue("preferences.objectview. ....) way and it is not
accessible.

+1 on Eric request.