Hi
We use Species here for ease and speed. So the head and jaw have their
deformers, and the facial expressions are done through Shapes on a FaceRig
panel. For some time now the animator wants some additional Facial controls
so he isn't restricted by the range of the shapes. And he wants something
that does not turn into a cumbersome task given the revisions/iterations
over an asset. I'm fairly new to Softimage and these were the approaches I
went about:

Doritos
I had it setup, just one thing that is dragging the process; Envelopes are
generated by distance but there's always normalization. So if I want them
to just have a straight spherical falloff into black I can't. Or even to
falloff into another dummy null weight, I can't. So I had to paint, around
the ears, on the top of the head and sides, neck, etc. I was trying to
minimize paitings so iterations on a model's rig can be faster.
I could put an inplicit per Derformer set on Bounding Volume > Limit. But
it's an abrupt cut off.

Deform by Spine
Creates the falloff I want from the curve. I like the "drawn" deformations
it does on mouth and eyes. I do an operator per curve, since the combined
weights of several curves seems wonky. The downside seems to be that I
can't transfer them with GATOR. How would you come about to transfer Deform
by Spine between objects to save time?

General Concerns.
I come from Lightwave and Envelopes to me seem to be like a box of weights
that are usually normalized. I see that deformers like Cage, Spine also
generate such box of weights, but they don't seem to be handled as
envelopes.
How flexible and manipulated can be weights and the underlying connections
of Softimage between the mesh object, the weight, the control null and the
deforming operator?? Seems to me that such weights don't exist without the
deformers.

This
Image<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/143766132/Forums/SI-Community/WeightMapsDeform.png>illustrates
what I'me trying to do.