Woah, thx Luc! That is...infinitely intuitive. To the power of -1 so, actually.
Time to write an "improvement suggestion" on the beta list...

My apologies, how this feature works is a little baffling due to
something that might be a bug,

You turn roto into "Fixed" mode, then enable "view in all cameras"

Now, when you view the roto in other cameras than the current , it
will cut through geometry.  It's a proper image place in space with a
z position you can adjust.

Why it doesn't cut through geometry in the current camera, I have no
idea.  It doesn't make a whole lot of sense - it wouldn't surprise me
if something broke it.
every viewport has its own copy "top" "right" and "front" camera, so
you could use one that you don't use to setup the image plane.