We have a rule based way of sorting partitions called the "Sort
Controller", originally conceived by Andy Jones. It's been extremely
powerful.

You write your passes in a simple markup language in a PPG on the pass,
like this. Copy pasting from a real production scene I have open right now-

Background_Objects_Partition = *
characters = sg_character
set = sg_set
lighting_geo = sg_lighting_geo

l: Background_Lights_Partition = *
l: env = sg_lEnv
l: key = sg_lKey
l: rim = sg_lRim

What that does is puts objects in a group called "sg_character" into a
partition called "characters". So each pass has a sort controller on it,
and the scene can stay sorted by managing the sort groups, called SG by
convention.

It's been extremely good to us. Other than that, passes and partitions do
their work exactly the way soft is supposed to, except that the partitions
are sorted by the Sort Controller.

Even our least technical lighters got used to it no problem, and it's
universally loved.