Hi Jon:

I would add RapidRig (and its newer modular version) and CreatureRigs to that list :) RapidRig is not free though. They are, however, the closest to GEAR that I know of publicly available for Maya if you don't want/have no time to make your own.

I would stay away from abAutoRig, as our school forced us to use it and I was amazed at how terribly it was set up (and it's not free!). Not to publicly diss, but...it was just very weirdly scripted and its own tools have issues across versions of Maya.

Some links:

http://creaturerigs.com/

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/-rapid-rig-advanced-auto-rig-for-maya

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/-rapid-rig-modular-procedural-auto-rig-for-maya

Personally I think aSkeleton is one of the best free autoriggers I've seen out there, and it's really nice, apart from a few bugs/issues I have with it. The more recent versions have some really nice features in now though, and he's always updating regularly so that's a bonus.

Hope this helps!

Yours sincerely,
Siew Yi Liang