Yes.  It's nodes and expression heavy.  And for that same reason it
drastically reduces plugin development cause you're essentially programming
every time you're in the package.  And just like you'd copy and paste
snippet of code, you'd do the same but with nodes of a tree.

Whenever I feel like I need to do dev work in Maya which is often, I just
go to Houdini now.

The UI creation is also pretty nifty.  You basically have access to all the
params, sliders, and widgets you'd normally see in Houdini's default tools.
 Just a matter of dragging, dropping, and organizing to your heart's
content.  You can promote params from a lower level to a higher level at
anytime, exposing only what you want the artist to see.

You can do error checking either through the nodes or through vops/vex.

It's got one foot in as a 3D application and 2 feet in as a plug-in
development platform.  Yes, 3 legged analogies are weird, just like
Houdini.  But I like it now.

-Lu