I don´t know about converting normal clusters because I can´t really
see what you´d want to convert them to?

In general, they are useful to assing different materials or is it because
of the clusters that you have problems using the mesh in Quixel Suite
or Substance Designer because each cluster will generate a separate
material there, even if that cluster was just meant for hard eges?

Afaik, the clusters are needed inside softimage, you´d want that cluster
to be able to select the hardened edges inside softimage, using RMB
"select components".

When facing problems with meshes generating multiple material entries
inside Substance Designer/Painter, I like to resort to exporting an *.obj
file, making sure I have only the actual UVset I need as "map1" merging
all elements into a new mesh I want to have share one texture set.

If that fails, I delete the *.mtl file that´ll be generated along with the *.obj.

If I can, I´ll also assign the default lambert Maya material, especially when
I want to salvage stuff from an existing Substance Tree.

In a nutshell, I´ll try to do *.obj exports from Maya, avoiding Softimage Clusters.

tim

P.S: When I´m refering to *.fbx in a 2014 build version, it´s because that´s what a Unreal Engine 4 expects to get, afaik they don´t support the fbx 2015 fully officially.