I wanted to convert normal clusters because sometimes I don't have the
original Maya file, but that's ok. I'll just have to get the Maya file or
make them use Smoothing Groups in the FBX export options in the future.

About clusters, I always freeze and delete all clusters. I work mainly in
game assets production so I try to keep my final data as clean as possible
to avoid any possible export problem. I never keep points or edge clusters
(the only point cluster is the envelope one), lattice or any deformer
besides envelope.

If you keep adding hard edges you'll end up with tons of edge clusters.
That's why I wrote something to automatically freeze Mark Edges op and
delete the edge cluster.

You don't really need clusters at all for hard edges. Just freeze and
delete the cluster. The same for any other deformer that you don't need to
be alive.

Softimage should have a clean cluster option. Any studio that I've been or
work with uses a custom tool for that.

You can easily script something for hard edges selections with
ICEAttributes if you need, or you can use crease filter selection because
hard edges in Softimage are also creased by default.

I don't have much experience with Substance so I can't say anything about
it.

cheers,

Martin