If your "heavy" scene is truly heavy, past the 3.5GB mark, you might be
bumping into a known design limitation of the 970 that basically craps
itself if memory usage exceeds the 3.5 mark (even if you have 4 on board).

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!