I never tried a Rift yet, but one of my colleges at MPC showed me a VR device which was actually just a harness that housed his phone together with an app (using the phone's display, audio & accelerometer),
 and I found it surprisingly immersive and fluid and also hirez (must depend on the phone I guess)

And I don't know the price of that harness/app, but couldn't that be  a very cost-effective solution?

Perhaps also for studios doing stereoscopic productions?

For the VR environment, the bit we see, it looks like a road leading to a toy castle in a sunny room.
Did you light, surface, and perhaps bake everything in soft? or was material application done in UE?

For clip of the event itself, as mentioned we only got a glimpse of the kids reaction which was indeed very short but apparently very sweet :)

Congratz!