Thanks Steven, am of to digest all this :)

I know that they both have exposure and intensity.

the impression i got in sitoa is that you can leave exposure at it's
default, and just ramp up the intensity, as explained in the guide

"If you are not used to working with exposure in the lights, you can simply
leave the exposure parameter at its default value of 0 (since 20 = 1, the
formula then simplifies to: color * intensity * 1)."

I get from this that exposure is for people who like to work with camera
terminology.

In Mtoa, it feels like "Exposure" is a far more important parameter. i was
just concerned if this affected physical accurate lighting in any way. in
the past i've seen both schools of thought clash.

Is there still an Arnold list to put these kind of questions too ? and if
so, how does one get an invite ?

Thanks again for the full answer !