Hello list!

I need to convert Solidworks IGES nurbs to polygons.
In Softimage, the IGES import fails and creates nothing more than a null. So I'm testing Maya to achieve this. In Maya, the function is available in Modify > convert > nurbs to polygon. This works well, but I don't understand why the resulting object has too many faces, has corrupted geometry and inverted faces. Nurbs object are always simple, grid-like surfaces, that are just given a shape, so why aren't they translated into similar polygonal objects? After this conversion, I export as FBX and import into Softimage where I spend too much time cleaning the mesh. Is there a faster way to do this?
Thanks,
David