Some other mailing list send automated monthly reminders to help clean.
I guess you could just delete emails that bounce and help passive users
unsubscribe

They look like this, and I believe it's a default one:

This is a reminder, sent out once a month, about your # <http://sidefx.com/>
####
mailing list memberships.  It includes your subscription info and how
to use it to change it or unsubscribe from a list.

etc..