Hi Thomas,

It is possible to do this. I'm working on a sample scene for you. The only
thing is that you can't drive maps / vertex colors in 3dsMax with Fabric
right now. However what you could do is set these weights / vertex colors
on the Fabric geometry object in the graph and export an Alembic of the
cached deformation which includes these properties. Then import it back
into 3dsMax or Maya and drive maps / vertex colors by that cached data. I'm
working on getting the sample scene running in Maya and 3dsMax so that
it'll be included for the next release hopefully. I'll be posting a forum
topic in our forums and will link back when done. I just wanted to let you
know I'm on it. :)

Best,
Eric T.

Eric Thivierge