Hi Thomas,

in Houdini this is handled by attributes on the geometry. You can create these
attributes in different ways, by painting, transfer or even textures.

This thread has an example scene that should help you:
http://forums.odforce.net/topic/13744-per-point-physical-attributes-eg-friction/

<http://forums.odforce.net/topic/13744-per-point-physical-attributes-eg-friction/>

Have fun
Andy