I agree almost completely, Matt. I know MR became some attention by its
developers lately with the GI-Next stuff and some other things. I also knew
that XSI's implementation of MR wasn't ideal and probably the reason for the
instability in many cases. Whats sad, because once softimage was famous for
its MR integration. But even the integration would have been flawless,
smooth and perfect over all the years, the renderer itself became too old.
Too much of its algorithms and core design had to be rewritten to comply
with modern demands, I would think.
I always liked MR for what it does, but there are definetly scenes that you
cannot render in MR whatever your knowledge is. In theory MR can do it.  It
can handle GI, motionblur,DOF and has some neat optimisations for glossy
reflections. Combine even a few of these advanced features (that's not so
advanced by today) and you will reach render times far beyond reasonable.
I'm talking about the latest version (1.12) in softimage.

Mental ray has serious and painstakingly correct  SSS that is "physically"
correct by using photon mapping and it had it long before other renderers
IIRC, but was hard to use and took decent amount of time. I think no one
used it in production. They came up with the fast-sss shaders and they were
more usable. MR can do path tracing and other cool things. There is a lot
what MR can do on paper but in production you'll need a much bigger render
farm than you would need with most other renderers.
For NPR stuff its quite good an I still like it for the many shaders I have
available inside XSI.

Just today I switched to redshift for an animation, that would have take at
least 2 days on the (small, eight machine) renderfarm, because I needed 3d
motion blur. Sometimes you need it. Even with the rasterizer and unified
sampling (what is btw not useable in v1.12) I hit render times of 10 minutes
per frame. That's not much, but if you need to finish 2500 frames until the
day after tomorrow it becomes a problem. :)
I re-shaded it for redshift and with a few optimisations, a frame took 20
seconds on just the workstation. Of course that's GPU versus CPU and not
comparable. Nevertheless, I would not be able to finish the project by using
MR in this case.

As for the compartmentalisation (love you for those words btw), I wonder if
this is the reason why mental ray volume shaders were never exposed inside
XSIs render tree?

Sven