> On May 13, 2018, at 10:00 PM, Matt Lind <speye...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> An example of the boiler plate burden is exactly what was already discussed –
> modeling and tweaking as that's a good bulk of the early work. Bad first
> impressions can be a major deterrent.
>
> Another example is the need to learn the various categories of operators
> (SOPS, CHOPS, VOPS, …). Sometimes nodes from different categories do the same
> thing. that adds confusion. If nodes from one category cannot work with a
> node of a different category, then that's a problem too. This is where
> documentation is sorely needed. It's not strictly a case of a SOP does this
> and a VOP does that, but rather a discussion about strategy. When is it
> appropriate to use the various OPs? When should a SOP be used in place of
> wrangled nodes, or vice versa? that is a huge void in the documentation and a
> place where users easily get lost and frustrated to the point they throw in
> the towel.

I wholeheartedly agree, further improvements are needed. Have you given this
feedback?
> In short, Houdini has a lot of spring cleaning to do to tidy things up for
> the generalist. Right now it's an idiosyncratic development environment. It
> can be very powerful, but it requires a lot of inside knowledge to use it.
> The generalist doesn't want to (or need to) deal with the inside knowledge.
> They need something they can hit the ground running without fuss.

I’ve had three freelancers with very different backgrounds (maya, softimage)
and I had them up and running in Houdini in 2-3 days. They were able to move on
very quickly from there. Scene assembly, lighting and rendering.
None of them had a technical background, quite the opposite.

> As for the show dependencies thingy, that's just it. I don't want to see more
> wires inside of a graph which is already very crowded, messy, and lacking
> structure. There needs to be a way to illustrate the structured connectivity
> at a high level so users aren't forced into the weeds to get basic
> information.

Help me understand, how is this not the case with the Schematic view? It’s
still the preferred view for most of our animators.

> With ICE or the rendertree in Softimage, the nodes were text-based so you
> could follow the logic while hiding unconnected ports. However, even ICE
> trees could get very complex very quickly, so the use of compounds were
> introduced, and while that helped, it wasn't the same as a schematic view as
> compounds could be recursively nested to very deep levels hiding the very
> information you sought. Houdini's nodes are very iconic, but not very
> descriptive as to what they do. You can see various node icon shapes, but
> that still doesn't tell you the logic in the same way as following an ICE
> tree or rendertree. The design/layout of the network view leads to lots of
> bloat very fast making it difficult to keep track of your work when you get
> beyond simple models.

I don’t follow, SOPs in current Houdini show the type name of the operator
(node) above the node name making a graph quite readable. I can’t see how the
render- nor icetree do better here, besides the default nodes having very
descriptive names. Both approaches break once you introduce custom nodes
(compounds/subnets) named shortsightedly (in most cases not named) by the user.

> While networks make a lot of sense for VFX work, they are often less than
> ideal for character driven work. Character work benefits more from
> straightforward relationships which are easy to identify and follow as
> characters are often a hub for other work such as VFX, simulations,
> attachments, constraint interactions, and other details which come later in
> the pipeline.

Networks represent spatial organization/view. No matter the task, some people
prefer spatial navigation. Some prefer the hierarchical view for everything.

> People working in those later steps need to be able to quickly jump into the
> asset and immediately know what to do and where to do it. They can't be
> burdened with a messy network graph which they must study to the N'th degree
> before they understand where to start.

Hmmm, I couldn’t save my live with either the explorer or the schematic in
Softimage trying to figure out what a character rig does. To me this comes down
to a level of expertise/familiarity to the task at hand.

Cheers,

Andy