An example of the boiler plate burden is exactly what was already
discussed - modeling and tweaking as that's a good bulk of the early work.
Bad first impressions can be a major deterrent.

Another example is the need to learn the various categories of operators
(SOPS, CHOPS, VOPS, ...).  Sometimes nodes from different categories do the
same thing.  that adds confusion.  If nodes from one category cannot work
with a node of a different category, then that's a problem too.  This is
where documentation is sorely needed.  It's not strictly a case of a SOP
does this and a VOP does that, but rather a discussion about strategy.  When
is it appropriate to use the various OPs?  When should a SOP be used in
place of wrangled nodes, or vice versa?  that is a huge void in the
documentation and a place where users easily get lost and frustrated to the
point they throw in the towel.

In short, Houdini has a lot of spring cleaning to do to tidy things up for
the generalist.  Right now it's an idiosyncratic development environment.
It can be very powerful, but it requires a lot of inside knowledge to use
it.  The generalist doesn't want to (or need to) deal with the inside
knowledge.  They need something they can hit the ground running without
fuss.

As for the show dependencies thingy, that's just it.  I don't want to see
more wires inside of a graph which is already very crowded, messy, and
lacking structure.  There needs to be a way to illustrate the structured
connectivity at a high level so users aren't forced into the weeds to get
basic information.  With ICE or the rendertree in Softimage, the nodes were
text-based so you could follow the logic while hiding unconnected ports.
However, even ICE trees could get very complex very quickly, so the use of
compounds were introduced, and while that helped, it wasn't the same as a
schematic view as compounds could be recursively nested to very deep levels
hiding the very information you sought.  Houdini's nodes are very iconic,
but not very descriptive as to what they do.  You can see various node icon
shapes, but that still doesn't tell you the logic in the same way as
following an ICE tree or rendertree.  The design/layout of the network view
leads to lots of bloat very fast making it difficult to keep track of your
work when you get beyond simple models.  While networks make a lot of sense
for VFX work, they are often less than ideal for character driven work.
Character work benefits more from straightforward relationships which are
easy to identify and follow as characters are often a hub for other work
such as VFX, simulations, attachments, constraint interactions, and other
details which come later in the pipeline.  People working in those later
steps need to be able to quickly jump into the asset and immediately know
what to do and where to do it.  They can't be burdened with a messy network
graph which they must study to the N'th degree before they understand where
to start.

Matt

Message: 2 Date: Sun, 13 May 2018 17:28:12 +0100