Ted,

   The use cases for manipulating the FQDN information are those that
   motivated the DS-Lite-Tunnel-Name AVP (as described in Section 5.2 of
   http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-radius-ext-00.txt),
   and are very similar to those that reflect massively deployed VoIP
   designs, as reminded by Hemant in
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/softwires/current/msg01692.html.

   We believe that AFTR (CGN) capabilities should be distributed as close to
   the customers as possible, not only for scalability, flexibility and
   performance reasons, but also to improve the overall availability of
   the DS-Lite service while dramatically facilitating DS-Lite
   management as briefly exposed in one of my previous e-mails.

   The latter can be achieved by using a FQDN option, in a very similar
   way to what is usually done in VoIP environments.

   This use case could be further elaborated in a specific draft, but
   I'm curious to know why the use of the FQDN option mandates yet
   another effort, while (1) The FQDN AVP has been documented in the
   RADIUS extensions for DS-Lite draft, and (2) This is a very common
   practice that has proven to be useful and efficient in VoIP
   environments, based upon what is documented in RFC3361.  (Note that
   RFC3319 does not define only one domain name but A LIST OF FQDN for a
   SIP proxy).

   I'm sure you have already noticed the great similarity between the
   DS-Lite and VoIP contexts, as far as the NAT capabilities are
   concerned.  In the managed VoIP deployment, SIP UA are provisioned
   with their outbound proxy (usually an SBC to name it).  This
   device acts as a CGN for the VoIP traffic (signalling, NATing RTP
   flows, and other application-specific features such as THIG, etc.).
   In the context of DS-Lite, CPEs should be provided with the
   reachability information of the CGN that will handle all their IPv4-
   addressed traffic.

   This is not a matter of "suiting my organization", this is a use case
   that is considered valid by several WG members (http://www.ietf.org/
   mail-archive/web/softwires/current/msg01698.html, http://
   www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/softwires/current/msg01692.html).

   And indeed, there used to be a WG consensus on supporting both
   options, as you rightfully recalled.

   Last but not least, I think the unnecessary aggressively of your
   comments jeopardizes the serenity of the discussion (in particular
   the tone and contents of your message
   http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/softwires/current/msg01703.html
   were totally inappropriate, especially because you are a WG chair),
   and I would therefore appreciate a greater show of courtesy from your
   side.

   Med