David (document shepherd), Jari, all,

   In can answer to the technical questions, but before that let
   position this discussion in its context in the overall process
   (softwire should follow the ietf process).  Below a reminder of the
   main steps for the adoption of this document:

   o  First of all, this document is the proprietary of the working group
      and should reflect the consensus of the working group not the
      opinions of the authors neither the chairs.

   o  The working group reached a consensus on the version, available at
      http://tools.ietf.org/html/
      draft-ietf-softwire-ds-lite-tunnel-option-03.  During the last
      call I didn't remember comments about the name option.

   o  Dave Ward who is the document shepherd mentioned the following in
      his note (available on the tracker):

         (1) "We saw evidence of extensive review on the mailing list.
         The documents has been presented in softwires, v6ops, and dhc
         working groups."

         (2) "the document has strong support in the WG."

         (3) "This is strictly a protocol specification.  We believe
         that an operational document discussing some of the various
         tradeoffs and choices when deploying DS-Lite would be
         valuable."

   o  According to the IETF tracker, a "Go Ahead" has been received from
      R. Droms on August, 5th.  I understand this as Ralph has no
      technical issue with the content of the document.

   o  According to the IETF tracker, Jari raised the following comment:

         "This document is ready to move forward.  However, there is one
         issue that I would like to briefly discuss before recommending
         the final approval of the RFC.  We have been pushing back in
         other cases when people defined both FQDN and IP address
         information for the same configuration item in DHCP.  Why are
         two options and configuration mechanisms absolutely necessary
         in this case?  Wouldn't IP-address based configuration suffice?
         "

   o  The comment from Jari is valid and the document should justify why
      two options are needed.  This is even surprising because D.
      Hankins is also the author of
      http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dhc-option-guidelines since
      2007.  This is issue in not new for him.

   o  The authors on their own (or with the document shepherd, I don't
      know) decided to remove the name option **without** asking the
      working group's opinion.  No notification has been sent on the
      mailing list to notify or to justify this IMPORTANT change to the
      document.

   At least two representatives of service providers reiterated the need
   of the name option for high availability and load balancing reasons.
   We can provide Jari with more details if required.  Since the authors
   already maintained the IP address I believe they have strong
   arguments to maintain also the IP address option.

   The question should whether this feedback solves the issue raised by
   Jari during the IESG review.

   Jari, do you need more justification?

   Cheers,

   Med