In your previous mail you wrote:

>        (*) Question 1: It is not clear in text if there is a second NAT
>        in the AFTR or not.  Could you please confirm/infirm a second NAT
>        is present?

=> there is one but:
 - it translates only port numbers following an algorithm

 - the NAT is not strictly required: one can imagine to assign
   directly to a CPE its port range as it is visible from the Internet
   (note: 1- it should be not what we want as it makes CPEs trivial
    to track, 2- it doesn't remove the mandatory check on source ports
    in the from CPE to the Internet way)

>        (*) Question 2: If yes, is there any reason why you want to
>        maintain that second NAT?

=> I can see at least 2 reasons:
 - make CPE simplers (only applications which need to know what is a port
  number seen from the Internet side have to enter into the second NAT
  details, i.e., typically the PCP (/UPnP iGD/NAT-PMP/...) server on the CPE)

>        (*) Question 3: If the public IP address assigned by the AFTR is
>        not known to the port-restricted CPE, some applications may fail
>        (referral).  How the CPE will make a distinction between the
>        external IP address to be assigned in the WAN and the one used in
>        the AFTR?  If UPnP is used, the WAN IP address should not be
>        returned.

=> my read of the SD-NAT mechanism is the public IP address is the same
at each side of the SD-CGN.

>     (2) Unlike draft-penno-*, draft-cui-* does not mandate any proffered
>     provisioning means for port ranges; a list of alternatives is
>     provided in draft-cui-* without any preference (this is deployment-
>     specific):

=> but the ICMP-based solution is deeply broken so is it a real
advantage?

>        (*) Question 4: Given this list, is there really a need for the
>        proposed ICMP-based solution?

=> see previous item

>        (*) Question 5: draft-penno-* says: "A stateless DS-Lite CPE MUST
>        implement the DHCPv4 client relay option defined in [I-D.ietf-dhc-
>        dhcpv4-over-ipv6] to learn is external IPv4 address.".
>
>           Question 5-1: Why "MUST"?  IMHO, this is deployment-specific.

=> no such specific:
 - it makes the reasonable assumption than IPv4 addresses are assigned
  using DHCPv4
 - it states "DS-Lite" so there is no direct IPv4 available
 - so IMHO the question is more about the DHCPv4-over-IPv6 application
  and is more for the DHC WG (BTW please don't bounce this issue between
  the two WGs, my idea is more to make a point about DHCPv4-over-IPv6
  itself)

>           Question 5-2: By "external IPv4 address", do you mean the
>           address to be assigned in the AFTR (if any)? or the one to be
>           used in the WAN interface of the CPE?

=> if they are the same the answer is easy

>     (3) draft-penno-* advocates it is deterministic but this feature can
>     be enforced in any IPv4 address sharing technique:

=> BTW we need a better definition of "deterministic". My proposal
is it means the mapping follows an algorithm (and it is the case on
the SD-CGN, BTW not on the SD-CPE).

>        (*) Question 6: Is there any particular reason draft-penno-* does
>        not mention draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn?

=> too many drafts...? More seriously I have more concerns about
too simple algorithms deployed in the SD-CGN, for instance the:
 [1024...xxx] <-> [N...<N-1024+xxx] where p' = p + N - 1024
is good for tests or demos but makes CPEs too easy to trace,
I prefer what draft-tsou-softwire-port-set-algorithms-analysis calls GMA
(still trivial to implement and to use but harder to trace).

Regards

francis.dup...@fdupont.fr