On Mar 17, 2012, at 12:44 PM, Qi Sun wrote:

> Hi Med,
>
>       I've read through the draft-penno-* and IMHO it is reasonable in the
> view of deployment.  By configuring the profile (i.e. the per-subscriber
> mapping table) in the AFTRs, the SPs can achieve an explicit binding between
> the IPv4 address + port-set and the customer. This can mean the customer pay
> for the ownership of the IPv4 address + port-set. It is easy to associate
> address(port-set) assignment with authentication.
>
> Best Regards!
>
> Qi Sun

Thank you for your comment. Indeed, it is both simple and necessary to know on
the AFTR which ports belong to which subscriber.

It is simple because this can be configured out-of-band (think netconf) from a
centralized repository. Note, that, using
a centralized repository for subscriber <-->  IPv4 address & port mapping, the
service provider has the flexibility to
allocate different numbers of ports according to the subscriber profile. More,
because the association subscriber
<--> IPv4 address and port is known, there is no need for logging of any sort
on the AFTR.

It is necessary because the AFTR is the only place where we can enforce IPv4
ingress filtering, ie put ACLs to check
that the incoming tunneled traffic from any given customer is using a
legitimate IPv4 address and source port.
When the incoming traffic does not match those ingress filtering rules, an ICMP
error message must be returned.
The idea in SD-NAT is to use this ICMP message to carry the information about
the correct port range to use.

Alain.