Yonik - I like the way you think!!!!

    Yeah!

It's turtles (err, trees) all the way down.

        Erik
/me Pulling the Algorithms book off my shelf so I can vaguely follow along.

On Feb 7, 2007, at 8:22 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

On 2/7/07, Binkley, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In the library subject heading context, I wonder if a layered approach
would bring performance into the acceptable range. Since Library of
Congress Subject Headings break into standard parts, you could have
first-tier facets representing the main heading, second-tier facets with the main heading and first subdivision, etc. So to extract the subject
headings from a given result set, you'd first test all the first-tier
facets like "Body, Human", then where warranted test the associated
second-tier facets like "Body, Human--Social aspects.".

Yes... we've had discussions about hierarchical facets in the past,
but more focused on organization/presentation than performance:
http://www.nabble.com/Hierarchical-Facets--tf2560327.html#a7135353

Which got me thinking... if we could use hierarchical facets to speed
up faceting, then we should also be able to use the same type of
strategy for non-hierarchical facets!

We could create a facet-tree, where sets at parent nodes are the union
of the child sets.
This should allow one to more quickly zoom into where higher counts
are concentrated, without necessitating storing all the facets.

One could control the space/time tradeoff with the branching factor of the tree.

-Yonik