From: Tang, Rebecca [rebecca.t...@ucsf.edu]
Sent: 25 February 2015 20:44
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: how to debug solr performance degradation

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I was referring to the solr admin UI page. Today we started up an AWS
instance with 240 G of memory to see if we fit all of our index (183G) in
the memory and have enough for the JMV, could it improve the performance.

I attached the admin UI screen shot with the email.

The top bar is ³Physical Memory² and we have 240.24 GB, but only 4% 9.52
GB is used.

The next bar is Swap Space and it¹s at 0.00 MB.

The bottom bar is JVM Memory which is at 2.67 GB and the max is 26G.

My understanding is that when Solr starts up, it reserves some memory for
the JVM, and then it tries to use up as much of the remaining physical
memory as possible.  And I used to see the physical memory at anywhere
between 70% to 90+%.  Is this understanding correct?

And now, even with 240G of memory, our index is performing at 10 - 20
seconds for a query.  Granted that our queries have fq¹s and highlighting
and faceting, I think with a machine this powerful I should be able to get
the queries executed under 5 seconds.

This is what we send to Solr:
q=(phillip%20morris)
&wt=json
&start=0
&rows=50
&facet=true
&facet.mincount=0
&facet.pivot=industry,collection_facet
&facet.pivot=availability_facet,availabilitystatus_facet
&facet.field=dddate
&fq%3DNOT(pg%3A1%20AND%20(dt%3A%22blank%20document%22%20OR%20dt%3A%22blank%
20page%22%20OR%20dt%3A%22file%20folder%22%20OR%20dt%3A%22file%20folder%20be
gin%22%20OR%20dt%3A%22file%20folder%20cover%22%20OR%20dt%3A%22file%20folder
%20end%22%20OR%20dt%3A%22file%20folder%20label%22%20OR%20dt%3A%22file%20she
et%22%20OR%20dt%3A%22file%20sheet%20beginning%22%20OR%20dt%3A%22tab%20page%
22%20OR%20dt%3A%22tab%20sheet%22))
&facet.field=dt_facet
&facet.field=brd_facet
&facet.field=dg_facet
&hl=true
&hl.simple.pre=%3Ch1%3E
&hl.simple.post=%3C%2Fh1%3E
&hl.requireFieldMatch=false
&hl.preserveMulti=true
&hl.fl=ot,ti
&f.ot.hl.fragsize=300
&f.ot.hl.alternateField=ot
&f.ot.hl.maxAlternateFieldLength=300
&f.ti.hl.fragsize=300
&f.ti.hl.alternateField=ti
&f.ti.hl.maxAlternateFieldLength=300
&fq={!collapse%20field=signature}
&expand=true
&sort=score+desc,availability_facet+asc

My guess is that it¹s performing so badly because it¹s only using 4% of
the memory? And searches require disk access.

Rebecca