Before diving in too deeply, try attaching &debug=timing to the query.
Near the bottom of the response there'll be a list of the time taken
by each _component_. So there'll be separate entries for query,
highlighting, etc.

This may not show any surprises, you might be spending all your time
scoring. But it's worth doing as a check and might save you from going
down some dead-ends. I mean if your query winds up spending 80% of its
time in the highlighter you know where to start looking..

Best,
Erick