ok thanks, continuing...

>> numShards in SOLR_OPTS isn't a good idea, what happens if you want to
>> create a collection with 5 shards?)
yes I was following my old pattern CATALINA_OPTS="${CATALINA_OPTS}
-DnumShards=n

>> down the nodes and nuke the directories you created by hand and bring the
>> nodes back up
yes I did this

>> create the collection via the Collections API CREATE
 I did this but kept getting "not running in SolrCloud mode".  Added the -c
option to my service script like this

su -c "SOLR_INCLUDE=$SOLR_ENV $SOLR_INSTALL_DIR/bin/solr $SOLR_CMD -c" -
$RUNAS

and it did start in cloud mode.  Is the -c necessary and is that the right
place for it?  I thought  uncommenting the ZK param in solr.in.sh would put
it in cloud mode.

Reran the CREATE and got a shard1 and shard2 in the GUI cloud view.

New directories are arc_search_shard1_replica1 and
arc_search_shard2_replica1.  Is this because I have only 2 Solr hosts
running?   I'm used to adding nodes one by one and having the replica
assignments start when numShards count is exceeded.

Transitioning from 4.2 to 5.1 and it's quite different!