Yes adding _solr worked, thx.  But I also had to populate the SOLR_HOST param
for each of the 4 hosts, as in
SOLR_HOST=ec2-52-4-232-216.compute-1.amazonaws.com.   I'm in an EC2 VPN
environment which might be the problem.

This command now works (leaving off port)

http://s1/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=mycollection&numShards=3&collection.configName=mycollection_cloud_conf&createNodeSet=s1_solr,s2_solr,s3_solr

The shard directories do now appear on s1,s2,s3 but the order is different
every time I DELETE the collection and rerun the CREATE, right now it is

s1: mycollection_shard2_replica1
s2: mycollection_shard3_replica1
s3: mycollection_shard1_replica1

I'll look further at your article but any advice appreciated on controlling
what hosts the shards land on.

Also are these considered leaders?  If so I don't understand the replica1
suffix.