>> I would need to look at the code to figure out how it works, but I would
>> imagine that the shards are shuffled randomly among the hosts so that
>> multiple collections will be evenly distributed across the cluster.  It
>> would take me quite a while to familiarize myself with the code before I
>> could figure out where to look.

The random assignment is ok, wherever shard3 is created will become node3
for my system.  As long as each leader and replica pair remain partnered

mycollection_shard1_replica1  <--> mycollection_shard1_replica2
mycollection_shard2_replica1  <--> mycollection_shard2_replica2
etc

Does this remain 'fixed' in Zookeeper once established, so that restarting
nodes will not affect their shardn assignment?