Chris Morley here, from Wayfair.  (Depahelix = my domain)

 Suyash Sonawane and I have worked on multiple word synonyms at Wayfair.  We
worked mostly off of Ted Sullivan's work and also off of some suggestions from
Koorosh Vakhshoori.  We have gotten to a point where we have a more
sophisticated internal implementation, however, we've found that it is very
difficult to make it do what you want it to do, and also be sufficiently
performant.  Watch out for exceptional situations with mm (minimum should
match).

 Trey Grainger (now at Lucidworks) and Simon Hughes of Dice.com have also done
work in this area.

 It should be very possible to get this kind of thing working on SolrCloud.  I
haven't tried it yet but I think theoretically, it should just work.  The
synonyms stuff is mostly about doing things at index time and query time.  The
index time stuff should translate to SolrCloud directly, while the query time
stuff might pose some issues, but probably not too bad, if there are any issues
at all.

 I've had decent luck porting our various plugins from 4.10.x to 5.5.0 because
a lot of stuff is just Java, and it still works within the Jetty context.

 -Chris.