This is a very timely discussion for me as well as we're trying to tackle
the multi term synonym issue as well and have not been able to hon-lucene
plugin to work, the jar shows up as installed but when we set up the sample
request handler it throws this error:

org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException:
Error loading class
'com.github.healthonnet.search.SynonymExpandingExtendedDismaxQParserPlugin'

I have tried the auto-phrasing one as well (I did set up a field using copy
to configure it on) but when testing it didn't seem to return the synonyms
as expected. So gave up on that one too (am willing to give it another try
though, that was awhile ago). Would definitely like to hear what other
people have found works on the latest versions of Solr 5.x and/or 6. Just
sucks that this issue has never been fixed in the core product such that
you still need to mess with plugins and patches to get such a basic
functionality working properly.

*Mary Jo Sminkey*
*Senior ColdFusion Developer*

*CF Webtools*