I’ve generally been dropping foreign plugin jars in this dir:
server/solr-webapp/webapp/WEB-INF/lib/
This is because it then gets loaded by the same classloader as Solr itself,
which can be useful if you’re, say, overriding some solr-protected-space method.

If you don’t care about the classloader, I believe you can use whatever dir you
want, with the appropriate bit of solrconfig.xml to load it. Something like:
<lib regex=".*\.jar" dir="${solr.install.dir}/dist"/>