In the interests of the specific questions to me:

I’m using 5.4, solrcloud.
I’ve never used the blob store thing, didn’t even know it existed before this
thread.

I’m uncertain how not finding the class could be specific to hon, it really
feels like a general solr config issue, but you could try some other foreign
jar and see if that works.
Here’s one I use: https://github.com/whitepages/SOLR-4449 (although this one is
also why I use WEB-INF/lib, because it overrides a protected method, so it
might not be the greatest example)