I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think you're mixing up
useParams and initParams.

If I'm reading the docs correctly, useParams is used in conjunction
with the "Request
Parameters API" and whatever you're setting is stored in a separate
file (params.json),
not solrconfig.xml.

This is separate from the initParams which is all internal to
solroconfig.xml. I _think_
you'll be fine if you substitute "initParams" for "useParms" in your
requestHandler definition.

WARNING: This isn't really code I've used much, so this may be totally off base.

Best
Erick