SAN (or NAS if you can live with its performance) is one way.  Oh course, the
SAN would have to have redundant hw, too - no use in having multiple and
redundant disks if you only have 1 controller, for example.  Another options
(that I have not tried) is DRBD.  Whatever the case, you need to have only 1
active master.  Have a look at one of the comments towards the end of SOLR-561
for a decent description of how this could be set up.  ZooKeeper might help
with active/standby coordination, too, I imagine.

Otis