you can view some of my analyses here that has caused me grief and
confusion: http://imgur.com/a/Fcht3

here is a debug output:

"rawquerystring":"\"ZIMMER:ZIMMER US\"",
    "querystring":"\"ZIMMER:ZIMMER US\"",
    "parsedquery":"(+DisjunctionMaxQuery((manufacturer_syn:\"zimmer
zimmer\" | manufacturer_s:ZIMMER:ZIMMER US |
manufacturer_split_syn:\"zimmer zimmer\" |
manufacturer_syn_both:\"(zimmer_zimmer_us zimmer) zimmer\" |
manufacturer_text:\"zimmer zimmer us\")) ())/no_coord",
    "parsedquery_toString":"+(manufacturer_syn:\"zimmer zimmer\" |
manufacturer_s:ZIMMER:ZIMMER US | manufacturer_split_syn:\"zimmer
zimmer\" | manufacturer_syn_both:\"(zimmer_zimmer_us zimmer) zimmer\"
| manufacturer_text:\"zimmer zimmer us\") ()",
    "explain":{},

is it the quotes that are getting things screwy? i'm not entirely versed on
how to interpret the raw and parsed query data here. does \"zimmer zimmer\"
mean that lucene is receiving that shingle rather than 'zimmer' (implicit
OR) 'zimmer'? if so, then i'm not understanding why that's happening bc
some of these have WDF that is generating word parts.

aside: i've changed the server-side code used to send the query to split on
the colon and send over as separate tokens wrapped in quotes. in the case
above, field:("VENDOR:VENDOR US") becomes field:("VENDOR" "VENDOR US")
which successfully solves my immediate problem. that said, i'd really like
to understand better where things are going wrong w the above _and_ learn
better how to debug my queries.

i need to get the TermsComponent used to find what is being indexed so i
can report back on that and then can share the list of items requested by
alessandro.

thanks all!