I agree. Use the standard shard distribution and delete by query to remove
older documents.

Much, much simpler and probably faster at query time.

I’m seeing a lot of e-mails about people trying to do fancy things with
sharding before they’ve even tried and measured the performance.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org