Well, you have bad problem. You have a requirement that forces you to build an
expensive, unreliable search system.

You need to do specific shard creation at specific times every day. What
happens if that fails? Does search go down until it is fixed because all
searches are going to a shard that doesn’t exist? Or do the documents get
randomly sent to existing shards, so you need to search all the shards anyway?
If docs are distributed, you’ll need to clean that day up with delete by query.
You need to build that as a failure recovery.

Does your code handle leap years for shard creation? Daylight saving time? How
do you test that code?

You’ll be writing a lot of custom code that other people don’t need. If you are
a consultant, this is great. For the customer, not so good.

Whoever wrote that requirement does not know very much about Solr. It sounds
like they are trying to force RDBMS sharding onto Solr.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org