"But it also triggers a slow update that will rebuild the entire document..."

Why do you think this? The whole _point_ of in-place updates is that
they don't have to re-index the whole document.... And the only way to
do that effectively would be if all the fields are stored, which is
not a requirement for in-place updates.

Best,
Erick