Paul -- thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.  That's a very practical
approach, and is worth taking a closer look at.  Actually, taking your idea
one step further, perhaps three fields; 1) ownerUid (uid of the document's
owner) 2) grantedUid (uid of users who have been granted access), and 3)
deniedUid (uid of users specifically denied access to the document).  These
fields, coupled with some business rules around how they were populated
should cover off all possibilities I think.

Access to the Solr instance would have to be tightly controlled, but that's
something that should be done anyway.  You sure wouldn't want end users
preparing their own XML and throwing it at Solr -- it would be pretty easy
to figure out how to get around the access/denied fields and get at stuff
the owner didn't intend.

This approach mimics to some degree what is being done in the operating
system, but it's still elegant and provides the level of control required.
 Anybody else have any thoughts in this regard?  Has anybody implemented
anything similar, and if so, how did it work?  Thanks, and best regards...

Terence