From: Matt Weber [mailto:m...@mattweber.org]
Sent: May 12, 2009 14:41
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Selective Searches Based on User Identity

Here is a good presentation on search security from the Infonortics

Search Conference that was held a few weeks ago.

http://www.infonortics.com/searchengines/sh09/slides/kehoe.pdf

The approach you are using is called early-binding.  As Jay mentioned,

one of the downsides is updating the documents each time you have an

ACL change.  You could use the late-binding approach that checks each

result after the query but before you display to the user.  I don't

recommend this approach because it will strain your security

infrastructure because you will need to check if the user can access

each result.

Good luck.

Thanks,

Matt Weber