From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerick...@gmail.com]
Sent: terça-feira, 12 de Janeiro de 2010 13:54
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Problem comitting on 40GB index

There are several possibilities:

1> you have some process holding open your indexes, probably
     other searchers. You *probably* are OK just committing
     new changes if there is exactly *one* searcher keeping
     your index open. If you have some process whereby
     you periodically open a new search but you fail to close
     the old one, then you'll use up an extra 40G for every
     version of your index held open by your processes. That's
    confusing... I'm saying that if you open any number of IRs,
    you'll have 40G consumed. Then if you add
    some more documents and open *another* IR,  you'll have
    another 40G consumed. They'll stay around until you close
    your readers.

2> If you optimize, there can be up to 3X the index size being
    consumed if you also have a previous reader opened.

So I suspect that sometime recently you've opened another
IR.....

HTH
Erick