Is there any chance that the "id" field is, indeed, missing for those
documents?
Does your schema require ID? I've also seen constraints added to a DB
that are not retro-active, so even if there is a constraint requiring ID
it's
still possible that some items in your DB don't have them.

A shot in the dark.
Erick