Version number's are confusing, no doubt's. 4.x is currently on trunk (and
was not released yet). 3.x is a maintained branch. There has been three
releases from 3.x branch: 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3.

Most of the spatial search stuff is available since 3.1 (includding geoflit,
geodist and the location field type),

If you decide to go with trunk (a.k.a, Solr 4), I would use a more recent
revision of it. Much has changed since December last year.

Tomás