Dmitry,

The only added stress that munin puts on each box is the 1 request per
stat per 5 minutes to our admin stats handler.  Given that we get 25
requests per second, this doesn't make much of a difference.  We don't
have a sharded index (yet) as our index is only 2-3 GB, but we do have slave
servers with replicated
indexes that handle the queries, while our master handles
updates/commits.

Justin