The underling index format is unchanged between SOLR-2155 and Solr 4 provided
that this is only about indexing points, and SOLR-2155 could only index
points any way. To really ensure it's drop-in compatible, specify
maxLevels=12 *instead of* setting maxDistErr (which indirectly derives a
maxLevels) so you can be sure the levels are the same.

Also, SOLR-2155 always did full query shape precision (to as much as the
maxLevels indexed length allows of course). By default,
SpatialRecursivePrefixTreeFieldType uses 2.5% of the query shape radius as
its accuracy, which buys a little more performance at the expense of
accuracy.  You can set distErrPct="0" if you require full precision.  For
example you might need a meter of indexed precision for the case when
someone zooms in really low to some small region, but if the search is a
huge area of an entire country or state, then do you truly need a meter
precision along the edge for that case too?  I think not.  distErrPct is
relative to the overall size of the query shape.  The default I think is
probably fine but people have observed its inaccuracy, particularly when a
point is plotted outside a drawn query box and thought it was a problem with
the spatial code when it's actually a configuration default.  0 is actually
quite scalable provided there isn't a ton of indexed data coinciding with
the query shape edge along the query shape's entire edge.

I'd be interested to hear if the Solr 4 version is faster/slower if you have
any benchmarks -- especially v4.2 due out soon, but earlier 4.x should be
nearly the same.

It's weird that you're seeing the stored value coming back in search results
as a geohash.  In Solr 4 you get precisely what you added.

~ David

Harley wrote

-----
 Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book