:
: What about SELECT * FROM WHERE ... like misusing Solr? I'm sure you've been
: asked many times for that.
: What if client don't need to rank results somehow, but just requesting
: unordered filtering result like they are used to in RDBMS?
: Do you feel it will never considered as a resonable usecase for Solr? or
: there is a well known approach for dealing with?

If you don't care about ordering, then the approach i described (either
using SOLR-5463, or just using a sort by uniqueKey with increasing
range filters on the id) should work fine -- the fact that they come back
sorted by id is just an implementation detail that makes it possible to
batch the records (the same way most SQL databases will likely give you
back the docs based on whatever primary key index you have)

I think the key difference between approaches like SOLR-5244 vs the cursor
work in SOLR-5463 is that SOLR-5244 is really targeted at dumping all
data about all docs from a core (matching the query) in a single
request/response -- for something like SolrCloud, the client would
manually need to hit each shard (but as i understand it fro mthe
dscription, that's kind of the point, it's aiming to be a very low level
bulk export).  With the cursor approach in SOLR-5463, we do
agregation across all shards, and we support arbitrary sorts, and you can
control the batch size from the client and iterate over multiple
request/responses of that size.  if there is any network hucups, you can
re-do a request.  If you process half the docs that match (in a
particular order) and then decide "I've got all the docs i need for my
purposes", ou can stop requesting the continuation of that cursor.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/