On 01/08/2014 02:34 PM, Michael Mraka wrote:
> Maximilian Meister wrote:
> % >I see. Then it should keep the original name so we can easily figure out
> % >where it came from and replace it with newer version in the future.
> %
> % Hi Michael,
> %
> % the original name would be pwstrength.js (in 0.5.0). We decided to
> % use the spacewalk- prefix to distinguish it for all JavaScript
> % related to the password strength meter in one single file.
> %
> % >Which version of jquery.pwstrength.bootstrap was it? It doesn't match to
> % >any pwstrength-bootstrap-1.0.X.js.
> %
> % 0.5.0
>
> As it's new feature in spacewalk I'd vote for using current latest
> version of pwstrength-bootstrap.

I would also vote for using the latest available version if possible, ideally
making it even easy to upgrade the upstream code to newer future versions.

> % >Is it possible to keep original pwstrength-bootstrap*.js unmodified and
> % >put modification to the separate .js (call modified functions from the
> % >page and call original functions from them)?
> %
> % To keep the pwstrength.js library itself separate for easier update
> % on a new version makes sense but has a few issues.
> % I needed to change the library itself to make it work and look good
> % for spacewalk.
> % I had to change/add some generated html output (html tags, add css
> % classes), some logic and css selectors.
> % These are changes only make sense for spacewalk specific look and
> % functionality.
>
> I understand it. In such cases where we need to modify upstream sources
> we put upstream package spec to spec-tree/ and create patches to it.
> This let's us easily keep our modifications and re-apply it on new
> upstream versions whenever wee need.
> See e.g. spec-tree/stringtree-json in spacewalk.git.

Sounds like a good workaround to me for solving the problem, at least if we
can't simply outsource our modifications into a separate javascript file.

> % Furthermore in 1.0.2 the pwstrength.js is now separated into 4
> % different js files.
>
> Isn't
> https://github.com/ablanco/jquery.pwstrength.bootstrap/blob/master/dist/pwstrength-bootstrap-1.0.2.js
> all we need to distribute?

I would guess so, this seems to be just a bundle containing contents of all
those 4 source files, right?

Regards,
Johannes

--
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer