After drinking 3 Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mumbled in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Some spammers use my domain name and put random characters
> before the @-sign. Then they send their spam. They use a
> from-adress with my domain and the random characters before
> the @-sign and the to-adress is also formed this way. I
> suspect they use CC or BCC for the adresses they want to spam.
They may use To, CC and BCC as they wish and they unfortunately
may also write whatever they want in the From-line including an
e-mail address from an innocent domain! But they are not able to
forge the headers of the spam completely, i.e., by checking the
header of the spam the receiver may see that the spam didn't go
through your server.
> My mailserver has not been abused to send this spam, always
> another server is used. Now I get hundreds of failure delivery
> reports from mail admins and mailer daemons that the spammed
> adresses do no longer exist. And I get messages of people that
> complain. I get all these messages for mailboxes at my
> mailserver that are not existent, my mailserver sends failure
> delivery reports to respond to this.
You have been subject to what is called a Joe-job - after the
first person to experience this kind of "attach"!
> I don't like this and I want these spammers to stop. Has
> anyone dealt with this kind of situation? What can I do?
I myself felt like being drowned the first time I experienced
this! I ended up receiving over 1000 e-mails during a few hours!
And there is nothing you really are able to do about it! I've
setup my mail-server to mail back the following to people mailing
to a non-existing account or postmaster:
Did you e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] complaining about
a legitimate rump.dk user? If you did we will return back to you as
soon as possible - but please read on.
If you tried to e-mail another account @rump.dk you reached a
non-existing account! Please correct the address and try again.
If you e-mailed the account in reply to an unsolicited e-mail (spam),
e.g. [EMAIL PROTECTED], we can assure you that that account has not and
(probably) will never be created on our system! It is a bogus
address, which somebody created apparently to get back on our fight
against spam!
Please take the original spam you receive (including the header) and
report it to your system administrator, your ISP or use automagic
systems like SpamCop (http://spamcop.net/) to report it.
Thanks!
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I was thinking of changing my domain name, but that's a bit
> drastic to my taste. Any other solutions are greatly appreciated!
Changing your domainname only cause problems for everybody -
including of course the people who try to complain to you about the
spam they think came from your domain. And you may soon experience
that your new site are subject to Joe-jobs as well!
Andrew
--
*** The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. ***
* Software Engineer * Leif Andrew Rump * BLIK og ROERarbejderforbundet *
* Immerkaer 42, 2650 Hvidovre * Tlf: +45 3638 3638, Fax: +45 3638 3639 *
Home: N55�39'50.9" E12�27'47.4" (WGS 84) Work: N55�41'14.3" E12�32'37.5"
E-mail: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] WWW http://www.rump.dk/homepage/andrew/
_______________________________________________
SpamCop-Help mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://news.spamcop.net/mailman/listinfo/spamcop-help